Last night my daughter made the best creamy risotto I think I've ever had.
Now,I've made risotto before, but it wasn't this creamy in fact it was even a tad bit crunchy.
I had always followed the instructions on the rice package which called for 4 cups of chicken broth, but the recipe my daughter followed called for 6 cups! Both for 1 cup of Arborio rice. So you can see the difference.
This dish was inspired by a recipe in Martha Stewart's magazine, Everyday Food, with a few changes. We did not have any wine, so we left it out and we didn't use the cheese as my daughter is staying away from cheese. We also left our the herbs as we did not have any fresh at the time. But it was still delicious!
Here is the recipe the way she made it.
Cremy Mushroom Risotto
6 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup butter
1 large shallot, diced
1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
1 cup Arbrio rice
2 tablespoons butter
1. In a saucepan bring the broth to a simmer, reduce heat and keep warm.
2. In a 10 inch heavy skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat.
3. Add the shallots and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper and cook about 4-5 minutes.
4. Add the rice and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
5. Using a ladle add 1 cup of the broth to the rice and cook and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat the process until all the rice is tender and the sauce is creamy. This should take about 20-25 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the 2 tablespoons of butter and salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
In the magazine it says this will serve 4 people, but we found (as with most of her recipes) that, as a side dish, it would easily serve 6.
And that is this gal's view for today.