Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Strawberry and Spinach Salad

For tonight's dinner I am trying a strawberry and spinach salad.


I know, that may sound a bit odd, but you'll just have to trust me.

I think this will work out because the other night I had a similar salad at my daughter's house and it was delicious. The only difference was that she served strawberries with romaine lettuce and I plan on using raw spinach.

You see I have a big contianer of fresh spinach that I would like to use before it goes bad. Now my first thought was a wilted spinach salad, but I decided to go with strawberries because it will be healthier.

As a matter of fact this will be one "super foods" concoction with the spinach, strawberries, and almonds.

One cup of raw spinach is packed with vitamin A and has vitamin C, calcium and iron. And spinach is a powerful antioxidant full of lutein and zeaxanthin.

A serving size of strawberries is loaded with vitamin C.

And almonds are not only low in saturated fat but they contain calcium, magnesium, vitamin E and compounds called phytochemicals, which may help to protect against cardiovascular disease and even cancer.

So I think this salad will be a delicious way to get lots of good things into the family tonight.

Strawberry Spinach Salad

1/4 pound baby spinach leaves
1 cup sliced strawberries
slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
dressing:
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoonrice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste.

In a large salad bowl toss the spinach with some of the dressing. Add the
rest of the ingredients and toss again. Serve immediately.

I plan on serving this with broiled salmon with garlic, mustard, and herbs and pretzel bread made by Kristina courtesy of Butter Yum

And that is this gal's view for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment