Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Roasted Potatoes

In this family we love potatoes!

Baked Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes
Potato Chips
Potato Soup
French Fries
Boiled Potatoes
Scalloped Potatoes
Roasted Potatoes


You name it and we'll eat it.

Today's recipe is for roasted potatoes.

With a twist...they are smashed.

I found this recipe at One Perfect Bite.

Wash about 1 and 1/2 pounds of miniature yellow potatoes and place them in a microwaves safe dish with about 1/4 cup of water, cover and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Let cool and then lay them on a foil lined cookie sheet. With the palm of your hand flatten each potato. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Add 3 or 4 unpeeled garlic cloves. Roast in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Turn the potatoes and drizzle with more olive oil and add more salt and roast for 15 more minutes. Turn into a serving dish and squeeze the garlic out of the cloves onto the potatoes and toss.

These were delicious. I think we have found a new favorite potato dish. One thing I will do a little differently is to roast more garlic cloves. We are garlic lovers and everyone was looking for more garlic.

I'm thinking I will make these next Christmas instead of the usual au gratin potatoes I'm in the habit of preparing. Not only are they healthier but they would be so much easier. Try as I might I've never been able to do the au gratin ones ahead of time and have them turn out well. And the last thing I want to do on Christmas is peel and slice potatoes. I like to have as much of the meal done before hand as possible.

And with these I can precook them the day before, lay them on a cookie sheet, smash them, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the next day. Then I'll just add the olive oil, salt, and garlic cloves and proceed with the recipe.

I'm so excited, I think I've just made Christmas Dinner preparation a little easier and the potatoes a lot healthier.

And that is this gal's view for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment