Monday, May 23, 2011

Broccoli With Pasta

Today's recipe is quick, easy, healthy, and delicious.

I used to make a dish similar to this. I first learned of it when I watched Sara Moulton on the Food Network years ago. I use to love her show and I learned quite a bit from watching it.

And so needless to say I was very happy when I discovered she had a new cookbook out.



And when I found a recipe using broccoli and pasta it reminded me of the dish that I had made years ago.

Peppery Broccoli with Feta Cheese and Angel Hair Pasta

1 bunch broccoli
12 ounces angel hair pasta
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
6 ounces feta cheese
Kosher salt

1.Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cut the broccoli tops into bite-size florets; trim and peel the stems and slice them 1/2 inch thick. When the pot of water comes to a boil, add the broccoli. Cook for 3 minutes; remove the broccoli to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
2.Add the angel hair pasta to the water and cook until al dente. Drain well and return the pasta to the cooking pot.
3.Meanwhile, combine the vegetable stock and red peppper flakes to taste in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Crumble the cheese.
4.Add the broccoli, stock, and cheese to the drained pasta. Heat over medium heat until hot; add salt, if needed, and serve.

This does sound delicious, but it's different from the way I remembered it on her show so long ago. First of all she didn't boil the broccoli, she "stir fried" it in a very hot skillet with the red pepper flakes until it was well done. And she used regular spaghetti noodles instead of angel hair pasta. And she used parmesan cheese instead of the feta. And I'm pretty sure that she used chicken broth. I think after she cooked the broccoli with the red pepper flakes she added chicken broth and then the spaghetti noodles and heated it through.

Both ways of making this would be delicious. And being that broccoli is packed with vitamin C (twice the amount than that of an orange),has almost as much calcium as milk,contains selenium (a mineral found to have anti cancer and anti viral properties, vitamin A, Vitamin E, and is an antioxidant...well I'd say this is one delicious and quick way to get your broccoli in.

And that is this gal's view for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment