I've been dong doing some research about fats and I must say it has been eye opening.
A blog entry is not the place for lots of detail, but here are ten facts I think you'll find to be interesting.
1. There are good fats and bad fats, I'm sure you know that. But what might surprise you is the good for your fats come from butter and red meats while the bad for you fats come from vegetable sources. You probably thought just the opposite, huh?
2. Saturated fats make up at least 50 percent of a cells membranes giving them the stiffness they need to function properly.
3. Saturated fats contribute to our bone health. Without saturated fats calcium would not be able to be absorbed into the skeletal structure.
4. Saturated fats lower the Lp level in the blood. Higher levels of Lp often point to heart disease.
5. Saturated fats help to protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins.
6. Saturated fats pump up the immune system.
7. Saturated fats help the body to put essential fatty acids to work.
8. Saturated fats surround the heart and help to protect it in times of stress.
9. Saturated fats help to protect the digestive system from harmful bacteria.
10. Saturated fats fill us up sooner and leave us feeling full for longer.
As you can see saturated fats are far from the disease causing evil villian they are so often portrayed as. In reality they are part of a healthy diet and contribute greatly to our well being.
And that is this gal's view for today.